Sunday, September 18, 2011

You Are More

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtcwQwgdsA&ob=av2e

I added a link for you guys above...it's a song that I am currently obsessed with. It explains everything I have been feeling for months now. I have a tendency to believing that I have sinned to the point where God could not/would not ever forgive me and erase those sins...but this song reminds me that I'm far from the truth. What a wonderful God we serve! No matter how far away we stray, He is still there with open arms ready to tell you how wonderful, beautiful and pure you are in His eyes. Today while I was driving home, this song came on and tears immediately began to stream down my eyes because I know how unworthy I am of His grace and love...yet He still gives it to me unconditionally every single day. I was in an immediate state of worship and full of the spirit...it was the best feeling I've had in awhile. 

Something that's really been on my heart is sticking this out. I've been through this before (unfortunately), repenting, worshipping, praying, seeking...and yet I find myself sloowwly but surely being sucked into things of this world. I don't want that this time! I want to come back to the Father, where I was before I became someone I hated. So, I'm asking you guys to pray for me. Pray that God gives me strength and courage every single day to follow Him. I know I'll make mistakes, we aren't perfect though we should aim to be as perfect as Jesus every day...but I have peace because I know God is here to help me in this journey. 

So, like I have been doing in my past posts I'd like to share a little bit about what my devotion was about today. It was called "Do Your Possessions Possess You?" This is something that everyone should be aware of, myself especially. We are on a constant search for the "American Dream;" big house, nice cars, expensive clothes, great jobs, etc. REALITY CHECK- the economy sucks and this will probably never happen to 50% of us. BUT, there's great news...we have a God that has reserved a wonderful mansion for each of His children in heaven. So, although I'm desperately broke here on earth...one day I will have that mansion I envy on Lake Norman! :) All joking aside, Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and destroy. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21) It's not wrong to have possessions, but it's wrong to be possessed by them...to allow them to control who you are. For example: I love my cell phone, I generally tend to freak out if it isn't within arms-reach at all times. But, when I read this devotion today I reached over and turned it on silent so I wouldn't be bothered during my quiet time. I think it's really easy to get caught up in technology and the nice things I own, but God calls me to store my treasures in heaven...because nothing on earth will last forever. I feel that sometimes I'm so dependent on my possessions and I have no idea...like being crazy about where my phone is. I loved this quote from the devotion today: "Jesus calls us to seek Him and His kingdom first, then He'll take care of the rest." How reassuring is that?! As wonderful as I think my blackberry is now, I'm sure Jesus has a spectacular iphone 20 reserved for me up there. Another bit of scripture that I felt was relevant to this devotion was one we talked about in church last week, Matthew 13. It's the parable of the sower, definitely check it out...I won't ramble on here but I'll make ya curious enough to go read it (: 


1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you & would love to help you {join you!} You are onto something, just take hold!! I hope you keep it up, the striving to live a more God-filled life and the blogging! ;) Love you Erika!!

    ReplyDelete