Thursday, September 22, 2011

Walk By Faith

I understand that it is nearly impossible for someone with vision to pretend that vision is gone. However, have you ever thought about someone who was born without vision? I mean, as much as I try to imagine being without sight, it is still so hard to truly embrace it. They must completely rely on everything/everyone around them to get them safely from point A to point B. This is what's been on my mind- walking by faith. I met with an old friend the other night, and we were discussing what this meant to walk by faith, and not sight. I want to fully rid my relationship with Christ of vision, and replace it simply with faith. Now, the question is how do I do this exactly? Well, God hasn't gotten me that far yet....stay tuned for the answer to that question! However, days like today where I just feel like I'm wandering around the world without a specific purpose I am reminded that I can't always LOOK for God's answers but I must feel them, and have a constant faith that He will answer...someway, somehow. God says, we can move mountains with the amount of faith of a mustard seed.
Which takes me to my next point in today's quiet time, do you know how small a mustard seed is? TINY! Last night in church we discussed the parable of the mustard seed and yeast. (Matthew 13:31-35). Granted, this is a very short parable, but it's packed with a greater meaning. A mustard seed is known for it's ability to start out very small and grow into a plant that reaches 10-15 feet high. In this parable Jesus says, "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in it's branches." What I took from this parable is that God's kingdom started out small a million, billion years ago. However, from his 12 disciples he began to build onto this kingdom and today this kingdom stretches all over the world. What does this have to do with being sightless you may ask? If my sight were to be taken from me, I think I would have faith the size of a mustard seed. I would be forced to literally walk by faith, and not by what I could see around me. Even though my faith would start off very small, the more I began to put my faith in those helping around me, the larger my faith would grow (sometimes 10-15 ft high). Along with my actual faith growing, the kingdom of God would grow as well. Now, I'm not sure if today's blog actually makes a lot of sense, but this is what God has placed on my heart to share with you all today.
So, my prayer today is this: God, rid me of my sight (not physically, metaphorically) and show me how to walk by faith alone. Allow me to close my eyes, be still and listen for your voice.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I am liking the blog, Erika. I really like the thoughts on today even more because they line up with something God has been trying to teach me; to take on the initiative to which I am called and walk forward knowing He will support me, and even if I fail on Earth, my faith is pleasing to Him. Everywhere I turn someone is talking about complete faith: blind faith, walking forward. I came home and opened your blog and *BAM* more.

    I'll go ahead and take the hint now!

    I like the verse from Job 13:15 "Though He kills me, yet will I trust Him." I think that kind of faith is amazing. Something I found out that helped me, "faith" is the Greek word for "conviction".

    Keep the thoughts coming :)

    ReplyDelete