Wednesday, September 14, 2011

God has a sense of humor

It's funny that the devotional God sent me today in my book was about child-like faith, AND oddly enough my second interview tomorrow is at a preschool...working with children! The last sentence of the devotional said- "Take a look at the children around you and learn from them." It's all a part of God's plan for me in the right place at the right time tomorrow...observing children and learning to fully put my trust in Him. Not only can I observe children and how they seek the approval and guidance of adults, but I can observe how excited they get about the smallest things--going outside, tying their shoe laces, getting their favorite snacks, etc. Shouldn't we as Christians feel this way about God, everyday? Constantly watching him in awe, getting excited about each thing he teaches us and says to us individually. The answer would be yes, but as we all know in "adult world" it's a lot harder to always see the good in things. 
That's what I miss most about being a kid, being so oblivious to the terrible things going on in the world all around us. As a kid I felt my biggest problem was learning to write in cursive, and when I finally mastered it...I basically wanted all the cake and ice cream in the world. The innocence of childhood is so precious, so precious in fact that we should mirror child-like behavior when it comes to God. He is our heavenly Father, and we are his children...ready to obey, follow and mirror His every move. It's easy to get frustrated by the things of this world, but when we turn to Jesus like a child running to mom after skinning his knee, He will comfort us with the biggest band-aid you've ever seen. 
God must really be inspecting my heart here lately because He knows that I've been considering a career in childhood development. I'm not sure if I want to teach preschool, assistant teach, open a daycare, be a counselor or what He has in store for me, but I can feel Him calling me in towards that path. Having said that, He knew I could relate to having child-like faith, because it's part of what I want to do--watch children's behavior. 
Today I was thinking back to a day at Camp Caswell when I went with my youth group in high school. I can remember that place being a very spirit-filled place on it's own...but the worship services left your heart wrenching, soul flying and your hands ready to do God's work. I re-dedicated my life one summer at Caswell, and I can still remember how it felt. If you've been saved, you know the feeling. The feeling that everything WILL be ok, that hope isn't lost for you, and that someone/something greater than you loves you more than you could ever know. In my lifetime, it is the greatest feeling I've ever had. This feeling, shouldn't be a "memory." It should be how I feel everyday when I wake up...like a child on Christmas morning! So, this is my prayer today: "Heavenly Father, remind me of the child-like faith I once had, and restore it in me again." 

1 comment: