Saturday, October 8, 2011

Women of God

I have some of the most amazing women of God in my life! Two women of God specifically ministered to me in a great way tonight. I was able to have dinner with my friend Nicole and we talked about some pretty deep stuff, some stuff I've really been dealing with this past week. I had been feeling really down spiritually and wasn't really able to take a lot away from my devotionals because I wasn't focused. I opened up and let Nicole in on what had been going on and she really opened my eyes to a bigger picture, what a blessing it was! Once I left dinner I was able to sit and talk with my Aunt Shebe for awhile about some of these same things. It seemed that I just needed to open up and talk about these things that the devil had really been shoving in my face all week. My aunt listened intently and reminded me that once you ask for forgiveness, it is COMPLETELY forgiven and entirely forgotten by our gracious heavenly Father. I knew these things that these women told me, but I just needed a little reminding and God specifically placed them in my day to speak to me through them.



As I was thinking of these two powerful, Godly women in my life I was thinking about women in the bible who were powerful...isn't it sad that I could only think of two off the top of my head--Mary, Jesus' mother and Esther. Out of nearly 200 men mentioned in the bible, I can recall TWO significant women in the bible. To my wonderful surprise, my devotion was about women of God (there he goes humoring me once again)! As women we are constantly faced with an overwhelming feeling to "measure up." Whether we feel we have to measure up at home, work or school we are faced with the devil saying "you aren't as pretty, skinny, smart, nice, etc." He is constantly on our backs falsely telling us we aren't good enough. The media is always putting this idea in our heads that to be beautiful is to be skinny...and I'm sick of it! God desires that we continue to grow in the truths He would have us believe about ourselves rather than taking cues from the world. In my devotion, she points out that unlike most men in His day, Jesus did not treat women as property. "Jesus placed a high value on the worth of women. He treated all women with respect, from His earthly mother, Mary, to those ostracized by society." We are those women ostracized by society (in some way or another)!! As daughters of our heavenly father He desires us to reject this world that lies to us and to know that He made us in His image, and that image is perfection. I was asked to read John 4 and John 8, one story of Jesus meeting with the woman at the well and the second is the story of the woman caught in adultery. And then, in one simple sentence, God spoke RIGHT TO ME: "He saw them not for what they once were, not as objects to be scorned, but for what they could become--women forgiven for their past and looking forward to a bright future." I am one of these women, I have made my fair share of mistakes and often feel ostracized by society for those mistakes but My Jesus has forgiven me and is revealing a future MUCH brighter than my past! My prayer is this: "God, what do you desire for me as your daughter? How can I use my past, gifts and talents to glorify you?"

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh!! How PERFECT was that purple quote?! So amazing how God is speaking to you in so many ways, telling you exactly what you need to hear! He is so good!! You are such a blessing in my life! I am so glad we are friends! I will be praying for you this week! ♥

    ReplyDelete